About The Course
Our 11-week programme teaches you to set clear goals, understand business cycles, learn problem-solving & achieve the fundamentals of entrepreneurship. The online course uses the proprietary and trademarked Urban MBA blended learning style replicated from our highly successful in-person courses. Taking a non-traditional and innovative approach to education, pop culture meets storytelling, life & vocational skills, and creativity & debate during our course. With a central focus on business, the course contains a lot of active, practical learning. Designed to be accessible, the course can be completed by those with busy lives, as you can commit as little as 1 hour per week. Gain the knowledge & skills needed to make it in the world of business & life. At the end of this online course experience, you will be ready to present your business and idea to a panel of judges & investors – just like on Dragon’s Den.
Is this course for you?
This course is for you if you are:
Considering starting your own successful business but don’t know where to start.
Eager to learn about the fundamentals of Entrepreneurship, Marketing and how to create a selling product that provides value to consumers.
Wanting to learn about where the world is heading and the impact emerging technologies, such as 5G and AI, will have on businesses.
Welcome to UrbanMBA
Welcome to UrbanMBA Online
Module 1: Induction
- Introduction to Urban MBA Online
- The Urban MBA fun learning style
- The theory of change
- How the Urban MBA online course works
- The Urban MBA journey
- Founder story: From Urban MBA to Selfridges – Meet Victoria from Sunmo
- Induction Quiz
Module 2: Goal Setting
- Matrix: Blue Pill or Red Pill (1999)
- Your red pill blue pill moment
- Welcome to Goalsetting
- A world of opportunity
- How to influence your mind
- How does the brain function?
- How Big is the Unconscious Mind?
- Exploring the mind
- Your unconscious mind
- Getting into the zone
- Brainwaves and your state of mind
- Being in the zone
- Jerry Maguire: Show Me the Money! (1996)
- Developing the mentor relationship
- The importance of mentorship
- Secrets of success in 8 words, 3 minutes | Richard St. John
- What leads to success?
- The secret of success in 8 words
- Submit your scores
- Steve Jobs talks about the rationale of being an entrepreneur
- Your core values
- Big brands and their core values
- Alibaba’s 6 Core Leadership Values | Jack Ma
- Connect famous brands and their vision statement
- What are your passionate about?
- Define your values
- The power of self-fulfilling prophecies
- What are self-fulfilling prophecies?
- JAY-Z in conversation with Warren Buffet: Chase your own dream
- JAY-Z in conversation with Warren Buffet: Make your own way
- JAY-Z in conversation with Warren Buffet: Mentors
- JAY-Z in conversation with Warren Buffet: Self Reflection
- No more negative words
- Choose positivity over negativity
- Submit your power of negative words
- Michael Jordan about Failure
- Create a vision for your life
- How do you create a vision for your life?
- Successful people and their vision board
- How to Create a Vision Board | Jack Canfield
- How do you create a vision board?
- Creating your vision board
- Your vision board
- Goal Setting Module Quiz
Module 3: What's The Big Idea?
- The Best Ideas Are Evolutions
- The evolution of ideas
- Video Amazon Go – Retail innovation
- How markets and contraction buyouts work
- Understanding markets
- Spotlight on Lonnie Johnson – The inventor of the Super Soaker | CNBC
- Share your business idea
- Business Innovation Quiz
- Business model canvas explained
- Submit your business model canvas
Module 4: Research
- Introduction to research – Where do ideas come from?
- The origin of business ideas
- Your MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- MVP quiz
- The PESTLE Analysis
- How to make a PESTLE Analysis
- PESTLE analysis quiz
- Tools and resources for your entrepreneurship journey
- Your entrepreneurship tools
- How to evaluate your research
- Explore your business idea
- Assess your business idea
- Investigating new technologies and the current landscape
- Assess the current landscape
- Create your SWOT Analysis
- Submit your SWOT Analysis and Competitor Analysis
- Brainstorm Exercise: Your MVP
Module 5: Testing
- Time to test your MVP
- Upload your MVP worksheet
Module 6: Business Plan
- Why you need a business plan
- Download UrbanMBA Business Plan Template
- Create your business plan
- The executive summary
- Your executive summary
- Your business proposal and strategy
- Assess your business proposal
- Resources and personnel
- Find your resources and personnel
- 12-month cash flow and financial documents
- Assess your financial documents
- Social purpose, outputs and outcomes
- Your social purpose and action
- Your Business Plan
- Business Plan Quiz
Module 7: Funding
- Your revenue model
- How to fund your business
- Social funding
- Profit vs. Not for profit
- Equity crowdfunding
- Equity and the crowd
- Crowdfunding Quiz
- How to raise funds and the example of Lyric Organic
- Crowdfunding: Yes or No?
- Introduction to traditional funding, social funding and crowdfunding
- The 12-month cash-flow game
- Cashflow Quiz
- Upload your cashflow worksheet
- Brainstorming Exercise: Business Funding
- How to access funding for your business
Module 8: Company Setup
- Thinkers and Doers
- Setting up your company
- Company Formation Quiz
Module 9: Outsourcing
- Introduction to outsourcing
- The life of an entrepreneur
- Build Your Team
- How to hire
- Submit your Personality Type
- Your Organisational Chart
- Know your organizational structure
- Finding Virtual Workers
- How to outsource
- Know Yourself
- Learn to know yourself
- Strength Finder
- Find your strenght
Module 10: Marketing
- He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands
- Introduction to Digital Media
- The power of social media
- How to use Social Media in business
- Social media and business
- United Breaks Guitars | Sons of Maxwell (2009)
- Social media and business reputation
- How to protect your social media reputation
- The social media landscape
- How social media has evolved
- The growth of social media
- You and your social media
- The power of data on social media
- Social media and data
- New on the scene: TikTok!
- Social Media Survey
- How communication works
- How to engage your audience with two-way communication
- How to engage your audience
- Find your message
- Autoglass® ‘Speed bump’ windscreen repair
- What is the story of the Autoglass® Ad?
- Cadbury’s Flake: Deliciously Terrifying
- What is the story of the Cadbury’s Ad?
- Red Bull Gives You Wings
- What is the story of the Red Bull Ad?
- Water Ad
- What is the story of the Water Ad?
- Old Spice | The Man Your Man Could Smell Like
- What is the story of the Old Spice Ad?
- Classic Nike Ad featuring the Brazilian Football Team
- What is the story of the Nike Ad?
- Become a Key Person of Influence
- You as key person of influence
- How to create an advertising campaign
- How to create an advert for your business
- Create your Ad Campaign
- Create your marketing mix
- Find your marketing mix
- The evolution of brands
- The importance of branding
- Plan your marketing strategy
- Your marketing strategy
- Establish your marketing essentials
- Time to get business serious on social media!
Module 11: Websites
- Your business needs a website
- The potential of your website
- Your website potential
- How to build a successful website
- Set up your website
- Setting up your website
- Establishing your online presence
- Website Quiz
- Introduction to SEO
- What is SEO?
- How to start your SEO Campaign
- SEO and your website
- SEO for your business
- SEO Quiz
Pitch your business!
- Create your video Pitch
Kofi Oppong, the founder of Urban MBA, is a self-made business consultant, author, speaker, and program director of Urban MBA.
With a career in Marketing and Product management spanning from JD Sports to Nike, Kofi has always been at the heart of the urban scene. When he noticed an economic system moving towards a gig economy and zero-hours contracts he set out on a mission to reform traditional education, which was leaving too many young adults disadvantaged, marginalised, and in most cases disengaged.
Kofi strongly believes that lasting change needs to start with education. His vision for Urban MBA is to create a world where no young person is lost or left aside.
Dont Take Our Word For It...
At the age of 16 I worked for Kofi doing voluntary work in a retail store. He gave me the academic and practical knowledge to start my career in retail. I have always learnt practically, and Kofi always understood how to help me learn.
I heard about Urban MBA through Hackney volunteer service. At the time I was struggling to find work experience and suitable education for my son who was being consistently excluded from school.
I am watching the lecture you did for ION recently. It is so informative and helpful, thank you. Your story is inspirational and thank you for your investment in the young people.
It was honestly one of the best decisions I made. I was able to find out a lot about myself and the path I wanted to take.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like – across all your personal devices.
How does unlimited mentoring work?
As part of the Urban MBA, you will gain exclusive access to a Facebook community to discuss coursework and trade ideas with your classmates and our mentors, a select group of Urban MBA alumni. Office hours with Kofi once a month for the duration of the course give you the opportunity to ask questions and get advice.
How do video assignments work?
Our video assignments are integral to the Urban MBA online experience. We want you to gain the confidence to pitch your business in video. All you need is the camera on your phone to film the assignments and our team will review them for you and send our feedback.
Do I need any additional materials to make the course work?
Absolutely not. Everything you need is in the course.